1000 Cranes for Japan


1000 Cranes for Japan, originally uploaded by WxMom.
At some point last night, I saw a link to this flickr group, 1000 Cranes for Japan. For more than a month, things have been just crazy around here. Then the triple disaster struck Japan and her people. I have never felt so helpless before. I've made the donations, and still felt off. The idea of honoring the Japanese people and their culture seemed to fill that off space.

I had never folded an origami crane before. Actually, folding 1,000 cranes was a task I wasn't up to. To add a crane to a digital string of 1000 cranes, I can do that.

I practiced with paper from my printer, cut into a square. After trying several internet how-tos, I found one that made sense. The computer paper ended up being to thick. I had to switch to lined notebook paper.

Here is my digital contribution, hoping for 1,000 digital cranes for Japan.

More information on the ancient Japanese legend of 1000 origami cranes.

Here is the tutorial that worked the best for me. The one linked to the front page of the flickr group is OK for the first few steps, then it goes to fast and the folder's hands cover up every step.

Thanks to the CoffeeShop, I ran the Perfect Portrait 2 action, to clean up some camera noise and add a bit of pop to the color.

***Update***
This Facebook group, Paper Cranes for Japan has partnered with the right people, for every crane received in "snail" mail, $2 is donated to Japanese rebuilding efforts, up to $200,000.